|Seven quarts of canned apricots, not well packed.|
|Nine pints of canned apricots, packed somewhat better.|
|Seven pints of apricot syrup (one went home with my dad).|
|13 half-pints of apricot jam, 11 that were actually canned; the rest went into the fridge because I ran out of rings.|
Several jars of jam have been given away already. It is delicious, and I'd share the recipe but I - *gasp!* - didn't really use one. I tried out Ball's liquid pectin but used a lot less sugar than called for, because I like my jam to taste like fruit, with a bit of tartness. And guess what? It jelled just fine, thankyouverymuch.
I'm happy to report that I used every last bit of those suckers, aside from about 10 lost to spoilage and three (*sob*) batches of fruit leather (using this recipe lost to rain. I was being all smug and green and thought, "Oh, I could HARNESS THE POWER OF THE SUN to dry this fruit leather!" And then it went from sunny to downpour and the fruit leather went into the trash.
For those of you interested in using every last bit of your apricots, I suggest this method:
- Make yourself some jam.
- Start canning fruit. Stop after the quarts because you realize using your new, fancy pressure cooker takes a heck of a lot time than you thought. Put leftover fruit in the fridge, along with the syrup.
- Two days later, when you finally have time and you realize that if you do not can the rest now they will spoil and it will be a huge waste of money and you will not have delicious-tasting apricots to crack open mid-winter, dump the leftover fruit and syrup into the pan to heat while you cut up whatever remains of the non-overripe fruit. Lament that there is any overripe fruit.
- Can pints of fruit, taking only the ones that haven't disintegrated.
- Realize that you could make fruit leather with the overripe stuff. Rejoice that you had overripe fruit.
- Throw the rest of the fruit into the pot with the fruit unworthy of canning. Add some lemon juice. Take out smooshed fruit and blend, getting hot fruit puree all over yourself only twice (out of three times).
- Realize you still have a lot of stuff in that there pot. Decide to make syrup. Throw more sugar in, and some corn syrup for good measure. Blend the rest of it together and can it.
- Sit back smugly. And wonder what the heck you'll do with all this apricot stuff.